Friday, January 16, 2009

'Fontan'niversary

It's hard to believe that a year ago today we were sitting in the hospital lobby waiting for Carlie to come out of surgery...yes, today marks a year that Carlie had her Fontan! Some days it seems like it was just yesterday that I was scared to death about my baby going into another open heart surgery and other days it seems like it was years ago. We were lucky that she did well (our only issue were effusions) and was home within a week. Recovery at home was a little slower than I anticipated; we were sent home with a Blake drain that was in place for 3 weeks, on oxygen for 2 weeks and eventually she developed another effusion that landed her back in the hospital with another chest tube two months after her surgery. But all of it was worth it to be able to see her running around, dancing, singing, playing and enjoying life! We are thankful for the skilled surgeons, doctors and nurses that helped us reach this milestone...we are forever grateful!

Here are some pictures from a year ago...






...and Carlie today, healthy and happy!


6 comments:

Katie said...

I love seeing Carlie! Happy 1 Year Surgery Anniversary!!! She looks so great and is such a little inspiration for us :) Her zipper looks so great too! I dream of the day we're passed the Fontan...I totally dread it, but will be so nice to get passed it! So excited to see/meet you guys very soon! The boys can hardly stand it and neither can we... Yippee!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww, tears in my eyes. She is just a sweetheart. It is so awesome to see how much progress these kids make in a year!
She is beautiful. I'm so happy to see her doing well & I have to say I love that huge smile!
I also love the pink toes picture...only a mom in our situation would get it I think!

Anonymous said...

Awww, tears in my eyes. She is just a sweetheart. It is so awesome to see how much progress these kids make in a year!
She is beautiful. I'm so happy to see her doing well & I have to say I love that huge smile!
I also love the pink toes picture...only a mom in our situation would get it I think!

The Mason Family said...

Yes, I think only a mom in our situation would get it...and really appreciate what it means to have a child with pink toes (as well as fingers and lips)!

The B Family said...

Happy Fontan-iversary, Carlie!!! Your toes are perfectly pink! I bet they're painted a lot, too! We think of you and pray for you often...and love watching you grow!

Love and hugs~ Rebecca

Faith M. said...

Congratulations! I can't wait for to see Maggie's toes, fingers, and lips pink. In fact, they're looking quite purple today. Anyway, thanks for sharing your story with all of us.
Kaitlyn Grace does not have a blog or care page, but I do know that her mama reads your blog.
Faith